Monday, October 16, 2006
procratinator
I've been feeling a bit burned out lately. Actually - I'm almost at the crispy state. Time to take me out of the oven. It seems that every weekend there's something happening. This week has been a bit harried. I've got a midterm on Thursday (which I have dedicated zero hours to studying for), a company Halloween party on Friday (which I haven't made any costume for) and Charlene's potluck on Saturday (which I do desire to create a dish from my own kitchen instead of the getting something from the master chefs at Save-On-Foods). To top it off I have homework, an oil change on saturday and the big brain masher is applying for another job on wednesday. I'm going to dibble into the world of education and apply for an instructor position at ICBC. It's only a 6 month assignment but it's something...anything to get off phone work for a bit. I've become a bit resentful of my job as of late. The knowledge and experience I've gained is unquestionably more valuable than many of my other jobs that I've held. Yet the everyday quirks are starting to drive me nuts. I can work with rigid people. For goodness sakes - I'm probably the most rigid and "box-like" characters in the group! Yet I yearn for the luxuries of variable lunch times or break time, not having to tell my supervisor where I'm going and why every minute of the day ("I'm going to the bathroom" - my favorite after-lunch phrase) and not having to work shift work. As much as I love starting work anywhere from 6am to 12pm - it gets a bit tedious over time. I don't know if I will qualify for the position though as my teaching experience is pretty minimal (kay - let's be honest..it's zip). Doesn't hurt to try though. Worst case scenerio is that I have to continue being a call agent. With my track record - you never knows what happens. I've been all over the board in terms of "career" choices. :-) If you told me 5 years ago that I would be an IT tech I would probably have laughed in your face - as I was a "therapist" then and didn't forsee any future unles it involved psychoanalyzing people. Plus I thought IT was for geeks! I'm totally NOT a geek. Diagnosis: self denial. But here I am today - pretending to know a lot about nothing. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good luck getting that position Kim! I think you'd make a great educator. You always state your facts with so much conviction :). I can really relate to feeling a bit burned out. There's so much going on in our lives that sometimes it's difficult to find that little bit of extra time we need for ourselves. Make sure you take it! (Umm, and do as I say, not as I do =P).
Post a Comment