Tuesday, October 24, 2006

applying my knowledge

Every once in awhile I'm thrilled by the prospect of applying my knowledge at work to home life. I like what I learn but sometimes feel that it's impractical knowledge. We have the new media pc and wanted to activate the wireless connection so that we can surf the web while watching TV. That being said, Michael installed the wireless card and waited for me to configure it. I came strolling by and he asked me to make the wireless connection "work". I laughed and said that he would have to call up the wireless router and get the WEP from it. I don't broadcast my SSID therefore you need all the settings for things to work. He didn't know how to call up the router. I said I'd think about it. As I walked towards the computer room with an armload of stuff to sew (tonight is "fix stuff" night) I remembered that I don't remember the IP address for the router. I sat infront of the computer for a few moments trying to figure out how to activate the router. I didn't even know what the router's name is! I thought about working on my sewing stuff and doing this later. Then the answer hit me. Duh...the router IP is visable through the default gateway. Don't worry if you didn't understand that - I'm just being a geek (and you're even geekier if you understood what I'm talking about!). I ran an "ipconfig /all" and got the information I needed. From there I sent the information to Michael through MSN. We're pretty bad at home. We all IM each other from different rooms in the house. It's like that Robin Williams movie "RV".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ding Ding Ding...youg get major geek points just for this post! You're pulling ahead of Frank here! = )

kkyee said...

OMG - I am racking up the geek points eh?!? Time for everyone to blog about their work knowledge. I'm sure I've read a couple of Shannon's "work" related blogs - those MUST count for some geek points! If Frank ever updates his blog - that would be a miracle. :-)