Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ponchos

On Tuesday night I met up with Chicky for dinner at Ponchos. It's a little Mexican restaurant on Denman. My coworker had recommended that I try it.

Getting downtown was a hassle (one of the reasons why Chicky and I don't see each other during the week - traffic). I'm not fond of Lions Gate Bridge in general and try not to cross it if necessary. When I got to the other side - I discovered to my dismay that the traffic lights were out service. It was a grid lock around Chicky's place. I finally got to his apartment and waited for him to get home. I'm off work pretty early (at least a couple of hours before Chicky) so I had stopped by the gym before heading downtown. So you can imagine what being tired and hungry did for my road rage. After 1/2 hour, Chicky's car pulls up to the building and I follow him in.

We decided to drive over to Denman because it was raining and I didn't feel like walking in the cold. Normally I would insist on walking anywhere in the downtown core from Chicky's place as it's so close to the main streets. Chicky's not so fond of walking and grumbles when I make him do it.

Ponchos is a quaint little restaurant. Full of Mexican flare. We decided to order the "dinner for 2" and keep things simple. While we waited for our meal, we got spicy salsa and taco chips...yummy! The meal that came out was alright. There was a lot of cheese on everything. I don't know if real mexicans eat that much cheese. I don't seem to remember cheese being melted on our quesadillas when we were in Puerto Vallarta. Oh well - it was good food. The meat was a bit chewy for my liking but everything else was good. I wouldn't mind going there again.

So in my mexican mode - I made mango salsa tonight! I haven't had a chance to eat it yet but will do so tomorrow. Nothing like mango salsa with ("hint of lime") tortilla chips.

No comments: