Saturday, September 02, 2006

Emerald City

On Thursday Chicky and I took a little trip to Seattle. We woke up at 5:30am intending to get across the border before the line ups got bad. But breakfast at IHOP distracted us. Didn't get to the border till nearly 8am.

Highlights of our trip:
  • Pike Place Market - I wanted to go see the famous fish market that inspired all the "Fish" books. We found it but they weren't throwing any fish around. It was still fun to take pictures of the seafood though. I got a picture of a monk fish - they are so ugly looking!!
  • Seattle Public Library - yes...we're geeks. I heard that this library had a cool structure so I dragged Chicky to go see it. We had to ask a bus driver how to get there. I really wanted to ride transit - don't ask me why. Instead Chicky wanted to walk around downtown Seattle. Eventually we made it to the library. The library has 11 floors - each of which has a different theme. The architecture is interesting as all the floors are slanted at a 2% gradient. Check out the pics of the "red floor".
  • Fish 'n Chips - we ordered this on the Pier. The Halibut was breaded instead of battered so I was really disappointed by its taste. Plus it was like $9 (US) for 3 pieces of chips and 3 pieces of fries. The fries were gross (soggy) so we didn't even eat them.
  • Unbelieveable traffic jams at 2pm. The traffic in and surrounding Seattle is horrendous. We were on an 8 lane freeway and it was back to back traffic at 2pm. We went to pick up some stuff for Chicky and basically drove out and back into Seattle twice.
  • Seattle Premiere Outlet - have to do a bit of shopping before we go home! Chicky bought a lot of clothes. I didn't see any "great" deals for girls. I did pick up 2 pairs of Sketcher shoes though. Shopping in the US is better for guys - as there's not much stuff for them here.
  • By the time we went home it was nearly 9pm. It was dark out and the traffic was backed up again. I took Chicky on a "scenic" detour. I was thinking that we'd try the Truck Crossing. So I pointed to Exit 256 - which had a sign that said Truck Crossing. We drove on that for awhile and I didn't recognize anything. Soon we saw a sign that said "Sumas". We knew we were lost but didn't know what to do - too late to turn around by then. So we drove on. I saw a sign that said "Abbotsford" (yah - a Canadian city) so I made Chicky turn around and follow it. Chicky found a "BC" plate to follow after that and I mused that this might not be a great strategy as the guy could be a US resident who has not surrendered his BC plates yet. So we drove through Sumas. There was one point where we saw a sign that said Mount Baker - uh oh...wrong way! After a long tour of duty - we saw city lights - yah! Finally got into Canada at nearly 11pm. I had to work early the next day.
  • We had a late night dinner with KA and Michael. Both of us were tired and had to go to work the next day.

No comments: