Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Syringa Tree

"The deeply evocative story of an abiding love between two families, one black and one white, and the two children that are born into their shared household in the early 1960s South Africa.."

On Wednesday night Tanya invited me to see The Syringa Tree at the Vancouver Playhouse. The show was intense and spectacular. I was surprised to find out that there was only one actress playing many characters. I was hesitant about what the performance would be like. When I saw the simple set (a swing) I was even more worried. I was blown away by her performance though. The character transitions were very smooth and the pace of the story was great. KA says I enjoyed it because I love audiobooks and this was in a sense an elaborate audiobook! Thank you Tanya for sharing the experience with me!

1 comment:

Shanny said...

Oh, I so wanted to see that! I missed it when it played a few years ago, and then again this year. Glad you enjoyed it.