Wednesday, April 11, 2007

number crunchers

Did you guys ever play that game in school? It was a dorky computer game where a pacman like creature went around and ate fractions. Why am I talking about this? Oh - I just committed myself to another semester at Douglas College. Back to school time again. I feel like I'm a perpetual student. Realistically I never stop feeling like it. The schooling goes on and on without any light at the end of this academic tunnel. So what have we committed ourselves to for the next 3 months? Business Mathmatics. What does that have to do with anything I'm doing at work? ZIP. Why in the world would I take it? Because I have to (part of my program). In other academic news - I've been peer pressured into signing up for programming courses through work. I had my Performance Review last month. Once a year we get to "discuss" with our managers and supervisors on our work performance for the whole year, write a pretty little report and plan for my goals and expectations for the coming year. The underlying emphasis I've been getting is that they want me to UP my technical abilities. Unfortunately I don't score as well in that area. Boohoo...lol...just kidding - doesn't hurt my feelings as it's not shocking news. As you move up the ranks of being an analyst - the expectation is that you'll also be more technical than the junior staff (duh!). So 2007/2008 is dedicated to "training". Which equates to numerous programming and technical courses. I'm kind of looking forward to it (operative word here is "kind of"). I like to learn new things and if they're willing to pay for it then it's just topping on my cake!

No comments: