Wednesday, April 25, 2007

running out of time

The last 2 days KA has been talking about running the Scotiabank Half Marathon and encouraging me to do it as well. It sparked my interest to the point that I had to spam some of the girls to see if they could be peer pressured into doing it as well. You see...I'm a lemming...I may not look like one at times but I am one. I need others to run off the cliff with me.

Truthfully - now that I've had a full day to think about it - the idea scares the crap out of me! I haven't run a real race in my life. The closest I come to exercising is doing the MS Bike Tour each year. Shannon has been pondering the idea as well. So much so that she even wrote about it in her own blog! :-) Josie suggested that we try a 10km run first before committing to a 21km one. She's interested in the Pacific Spirit Run. But that one is in a couple of weeks - no time to train (or pretend to train). It's just a "get-there-and-run" event.

There are so many pros to doing this. Pros included increased overall fitness, a sense of accomplishment and being able to say "I ran a half marathon ONCE". One of those things that you can check off of your "to-do" lists. I love lists. So why hesitate? I'm plagued by cons such as time commitment required for training, lack of enthusiasm as time passes (I tend to adopt hobbies in phases), possibility of injury and fear of failure. :-) Maybe I'll roll it around in my mind for a few more days....

2 comments:

wyn said...

Usually, I say, "YEAH, do it!!" But Josie's suggestion makes me wary. I didn't do 10K races before my half-marathon but I was running 5 mi. daily and had a reasonable amount of time (a few months) to built up my long distance. It's not impossible to finish if you are reasonably fit already and run regularly for the next two months but I wouldn't have any idea what expectations to set. That's why you can't stop at just one. =P

There are two 10Ks I know of in July (so, enough weeks to get well-prepared for it): the HBC run on July 1st and the Underwear Affair (July 7th or 8th, fundraising for the good cause is required).

kkyee said...

I also found out that there's the BC Children's Hospital run on June 3rd. I think Josie and her husband are running in that one. It's another 10K one.