Monday, November 27, 2006

snow day

"Oh the weather outside is frightful, and my dear it's so delightful. And since there's no place to go...let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..."

Tis the season to crack open the hot chocolate, put on some ski pants and pick up a shovel for some heavy duty snow removal! As many of us survived (or possibly not) the snow fall on the weekend, we didn't know if it would be possible to face the elements this morning. The road conditions were treacherous! I was saying that to myself this morning as I dug my way out of the garage. Having broken a sweat from shovelling a path for my car to weave it's way out of the garage, I was shivering from my wet pant legs. Time for some booties!

I gave myself almost 2 hours to get to work - what a keener eh?! As I traveled along my merry way, sipping on some Starbucks coffee and contemplating if choosing the Highway 1 route was really a wise decision, I discovered that people in Vancouver just don't know how to deal with snow. People either drove way too slow or were tailgating each other. I made it into work in one piece and with minimal road rage. I park 5 blocks from work - which mean it was a good hike through unshovelled streets. By the time I got to my desk I had already composed a list of "necessities" - including a new toque, mitts, scarf, booties and longer coat. :-) An excuse to shop?! The day passed by uneventful. Only a handful of my department actually came in. Darn those with kids! Just cause it's a Snow Day for all kids doesn't mean that the parents get to stay home too. Yes - I know...it's hard to find a babysitter at the last minute. I need to find an excuse to take a day off because of Mui Mui. She's like my child...I should start reaping in the parental-benefits!! :-)

On the way home I noticed that Jerry had made a snowman - he was no where in sight. Maybe it's too cold to stand outside all day and wave to drivers. I quickly dug out my camera from my bag as the car was coming to a halt (yes - I'm not a cautious driver). I frantically snapped a shot before having to speed up again to make the left turn onto Hastings. A "drive-by-shooting". The picture is blurry but you get the gist of it.

No comments: