The social club has turned into a full time job lately. Since the induction of the new Board of Executives, I've been running around doing a lot of clean up and administrative things. Since my role now is "secretary" - I'm tasked with a lot of the tracking of information, control of access to documents and overseeing the website. This also includes many more meetings with vendors. The new board members are enthusiastic and want to take the club in a new direction. Their energy is contagious! I missed our first meeting yesterday but published the agenda before hand so in reality didn't miss too much. The best thing about it is that we finally have a team that has chosen to be on the Executive. Not like our last 4 "leaders" - who were coerced to stay on till the end of their term. They were good people but I'm happy to see them go and take their negativity with them! Can't wait for our 2007/2008 Planning Session with this crew.
After work today I went over to PNE to meet with the Special Events Coordinator to go over the plans for the Summer Picnic event and to make a deposit on the location. I was a bit lost (PNE is too big) and felt rushed as being off yesterday meant that I was behind on my real work and had to catch up with that first. Since our time is valuable (as this is all VOLUNTEER work) - most vendor meetings consists of the vendor and just one of the Executive members to represent the Club. I looked a bit harried today and felt sloppy at the meeting. I always like to attend vendor meetings looking crisp, assertive and energetic. It's a business meeting so we should all dress and act the part! Guess I should brush my hair or something for the next vendor meeting! Oh well - at least I'm always prepared paperwork wise. Tomorrow I have a meeting after work at the Bank of Montreal with their financial officer to complete the paper work to get me signing authority to the Club's main accounts. Muahahaa....access to LOTS of money! Just kidding. It would mean that there will be more flexibility in terms of who can issue the corporate cheques. I've been coordinating many of the events to so it makes more sense if I can cut the cheques to the vendors directly without having to go through the treasurer, president or vice president. It's amazing how much the Club runs like a business and not so much as your typical run-of-the-mill-social-club. :-) Doesn't really surprise me though. Due to the magnitude of the membership (nearly 1000 PAYING members) and the amount of vested interest from the members - we HAVE to make sure that everything is legitimate and documented. Lol - plus it keeps the auditors (PriceCoooper Waterhouse) happy at the end of the year when they have to review our statements.
No comments:
Post a Comment