Wednesday, June 06, 2007

burning the midnight oil

Work and school is getting hectic. I'm feeling a bit burnt on the edges. Monday morning was the usual chaos at work. It's becoming pretty much a routine now. To the point where I don't want to get out of bed on mondays. Having survived the mayhem, I came home, gulp down dinner and attempted to study and do homework. Needless to say I passed out on my books. 2am I wake to find the lights still on and a bad kink in my neck. I turn off the lights and try to sleep for 3 more hours. 3 hours fly by, the alarm rings and I have a pounding headache. Most likely caused by my previous sleeping position. I lay in bed and contemplate my options. I decide that I'm in no mood to drag myself to work so I call in sick. Feeling somewhat guilty for doing so and thinking about the meetings, work items and emails that I will be missing out on - I go back to bed. Woke up in time for lunch, an hour of TV and another attempt at studying for my midterm (which was that night). By this time of day I'm totally lethargic and walking around the house is quite a chore. Panic and anxiety creep in at about 4pm and I decide that studying infront of the TV is counter productive. Especially when I'm tuned into HGTV for all the home renos, etc. I head out to school to cram an hours worth of math into my mind. It's realistically a feeble attempt as with all math topics - you either know it or don't. I opted for winging it. Lol...I'm counting on partial marks for "showing steps" to equations. Having pumped myself full of caffeine, I walk into the exam armed with my calculator and a few basic equations memorized. :-) Ah...quadratic functions are formed from base equations anyhow...how hard can it be right? I wrote the exam and sweated a few times. Crazy word problems, have to get the right equations built first before you can even attempt to solve it. Lol - nothing like erasing a whole page worth of equations and notations when you discover (at the very end) that one of the 3 equations you wrote was incorrect and that it affected all other equations that are built ontop of that one. What did Ashdin use to say? "Show confidence...use pen". Of course he was a math whiz and calculus class came second nature to him. I spent calculus class writing/passing notes to Chris and Josie. :-)

No comments: