Saturday, May 26, 2007

social butterfly

On Friday I had the Social Club's Annual General Meeting. It was a fun event. We had a buffet dinner and dance at this banquet hall close to work. The meeting is pretty official as it's where we introduce the new Board of Executives to the membership. :-) I'm happy to say that there has been a big turn over and that the people who weren't excited about the Club have finally left. The new faces will be an asset as many of the people we recruited have particular skill sets that we desire (hence why we went after some of them!). Hahhaa...I think I can pitch the "join the executive" speech pretty well by now.

I'm looking forward to the 2007/2008 term as "secretary" for the club. Being actively involved in it has opened doors for networking and building on my leadership and organizational skills. :-) I find that I'm quite social and don't have much hesitation when it comes to making a fool of myself infront of large crowds. As you can guess...no one wanted to be the first on the dance floor so the executive turned to me to "get the party started". My feet were tired from wearing stillettos and running around all night making sure that the food was filled up, that the bartender wasn't over charging us, etc. So I laughed, slurped down some wine (liquid courage) and went to the dance floor by myself. Danced a bit then went around the room and pulled strangers to the floor. Eventually I had the whole floor filled. The rest of the night was pretty much like that - walked around the room, asked people to dance and wouldn't allow them to say no to me. Most were good sports about it. Haahaaa...I think people laughed at one point where I was walking across the room with a clipboard (looking for the head waitress to clear up our bill) when a swing song blasted on the speaker. :-) I couldn't resist! So I slauntered onto the dance floor and did my little swing number (alone) and with no shoes on (I had to take off my shoes hours earlier as my feet were killing me). Some old lady thought I was funny so she came onto the floor and twisted with me. The 2 of us danced by ourselves till others joined. I had a blast because the music was from MY era (which is oldies and disco stuff). I could sing to every song so it made it even more fun! Ah...the party ended at midnight and it was just the DJ and I getting our stuff and saying good night to the staff. I was pooped and pumped after 6 hours of dancing. I love Abba music and swing music. I got home and had an urge to watch "So you think you can dance?"

No comments: