Wednesday, May 30, 2007

seek the peak

Well - it's summer and time to kick off our Grouse Grind 2007 season. Rav and I hit the trail today. Haven't hiked this since last summer so we were weary about how well we'd do. Our goal was to just complete the hike and not worry about time, etc.

This is our 3rd year doing the Grind and I have to commend us on not complaining. Sure - there were moments when I questioned what in the world made me think that hiking on a day that is 26 degrees outside is a smart idea. :-) So we silently grumbled to ourselves and carried on. Each of us encouraged the other to keep going. We took MANY water breaks, leaned against trees and let other hikers pass us by. there was much chit chat on the way up as this is a social activity for Rav and I. We're not the types to leave the other person behind in pursuit of a "decent" time. I was surprised to see the amount of snow still on the trail. Made some parts very wet and slippery. :-) Ah..bad day to wear white shorts.

We emerged from the top still breathing normally, chatting about work and checked our watches. 1 hour 30 mins - not too bad for the first attempt. :-) Hiking Grouse is only fun when it's social - and since Rav and I are both executives of the Social Club - we have much to discuss. In the early days we use to have a large following of coworkers. Over the years people dropped off and lost interest in the weekly hikes. Rav likes to try to convince me to join numerous things as once. He's got the enthusiam to jump on any bandwagon that comes his way. Only problem is that he's notorious for jumping off the bandwagon on a whim. I kept trying to convince him that buying a pass would be a waste of money. He doesn't think so. I happy to hear that Shannon is hiking the Grind now so maybe I'll join her on one of the morning ventures (when it's cool out and not many people are on the mountain).

No comments: