Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Singapore - Day 2

Got up later today. Wasn't as gung ho about having breakfast. Today's menu was baked beans, fried rice, white sausages, spam and scrambled eggs. The eggs were grey in color - not light grey....dark grey...worthy of a picture. We only booked 2 days at the hotel so we had to check out at noon. I went back to bed after breakfast as my pounding headache and stuffy nose was killing me. I got up, packed and headed out. Today's agenda included a tour of Sentosa Island. But first we had to visit Orchard Road to get more money.

Thus begins our afternoon of misadventures. It took us a few wrong turns to find the cable cars that would take us to the island. We didn't want to take the train over - wanted an adventure. Upon arriving - we bought a packaged tour as there was enough time to see Underwater World, Butterfly and Insect World, the Jewel Box, etc. Paid $48/person for this tour. We got in the wrong line up for the cable cars. No problem there - the engineer had us hop between moving cars, slip through then engineering rooms and out the other side, past some more moving cars and into the right line. Chicky laughed as this kind of running around wouldn't be "ok" with the WCB folks in Vancouver. We went up to the Jewel Box on Faber Mountain - turned out to be a lookout point with a big trinket store. The cable car ride was similar to the one at Grouse Mountain. Not impressed. Back to the main cable station.

We went on a cable car over water. I was a bit freaked so I sat in the middle and didn't look down. :-) Chicky took pictures. In his excitement - he left his sunglasses in the cable car as we left. Duh - he just bought them prior to leaving for our vacation -he was sad.

Underwater World was great. Got to pet creatures of the sea. Chicky pretended to feed some sting rays by putting his hand near the surface of the water. He jumped when they swam towards him and tried to give him a friendly lick. I took some pictures of that - but not of his expression - it was priceless. He was scared - so he did it again. Always pulling away when a big ray would come out of the water and see if there's anything in his hand as he's pulling away. :-) I think the Vancouver Aquarium should have a sting ray petting pool. The starfish one is a bit boring. Though I can see the fear from some kids if this was allowed. Lots of big fish, sharks, crustasians, etc. Lots of picture taking as well.

From UnderWater World we only had an hour left before having to meet with Euston - Chicky's cousin. We lined up but the line was so long - what was going on? Luckily for me - there were 2 vietnamese tour groups infront of us. I listened to the kafuffle and translated it back to Chicky. There was a car accident on the main road to the attractions. So the buses couldn't get through. The island is fairly large so each attraction is accessible by bus.

Disappointed we didn't know what to do. We've already wasted half our money by not being able to see 3 of the 5 exhibits. Chicky decides we'll walk it back to the main entrance as it's easier than waiting for them to clear the roads. We follow the beach. Chicky wants to walk barefeet through the sand. How romantic - even when it started to sprinkle. We had fun splashing around and taking pictures. Then I hear thunder. The rain comes down a bit harder. We think this is funny and take more pictures. Then a tropical storm! I was like OMG! The camera!! Hahahaaa...who cares if we get hit by lightening...as long as the camera doens't get wet. As we sprint towards a palm tree for cover, I hear my photography teachers' comment about always be prepared for weather when traveling going through my mind. Duh!

Wet and tired we hiked it back to the main entrance. We're already 1/2 hour late to meet Euston. On the way to the cable car we stop by the butterfly exhibit to see if we can run through it and sort of get our money's worth from the tour package. It was closed. Disappointed we hop onto the cable car and went to Vivo City. Vivo City is a very spacey-looking mall. New and fresh. Reminds me of Metrotown with all the people walking through it. Much different from the mall we went to in the morning. We went to a posh mall on Orchard Road in the morning. Had MacDonalds there. Yes - I travelled half way around the world for some McDonalds. :-) Had a McSpicy...mmmm....loving it!

Euston is a really nice cousin. The great thing about Singapore is every speaks english! So easier on us. We went to buy our train tickets. Euston thought we were nuts as it's faster and more convenient to travel by bus. Oh well - we're still on the whole novelty kick. After the train station we went to have dinner near the beach. It was like Richmond Night Market...food vendors lining the edges and tables in the middle. Minh and Michael would have loved this - strange food for cheap prices. :-) Chicky and I laughed as we paid nearly double when we went out for dinner on our own. That's the benefits of knowing a "local" - can always take you to the good eating spots for cheap. We had sting ray - tasted like fish. Even the sugar cane drinks were this pretty bright green color - much different from Vietnam where it was murky brown. :-)

Euston's apartment is great. Really big, new and modern (Ikea motif) - we were impressed. I regretted not staying with him from the start of our journey. Chicky was mesmerized by the remote control air conditioner in our room. He turned our room into a freezer. I wore my sweat pants, long sleeved shirt, his blanket and mine to keep warm. He thought I was crazy - I told him I'm sick and he's freezing me over. I've discovered that I'm pretty comfortable in the heat - reminds me of hot yoga. Chicky doesn't cope well. I think he'll want to stay in the apartment near the tv, anime and computers - Euston's place is the perfect bachelor pad. I must agree...it's hard getting motivated to go out in the heat when the apartment is so comfy.

No comments: