Tuesday, March 13, 2007

getting there

After a 16 hour flight and very little sleep due to an all night family poker game - I was able to manage a few winks whereas Chicky didn't even sleep. Friday night we celebrated my mom's birthday as well as KA's (as we'd be away when their real b-day's happen). Hanif, Betty and Nyah came over for dinner as well. Nyah is such a cutie - growing up so fast!

We had a long flight. Made friends with a contractor from Calgary who was on his way back to India. I can't remember his name right now but I took a picture with him. :-) Figured he has to sit beside me for the whole flight so we might as well be buddies. I got the middle seat in a 3 seat row. Chicky managed to get an aisle seat.

Hightlights of the flight included:
  • frequent meals (which were pretty good)
  • a transfer in Korea - which was to get off the plane, go up some stairs, through customs again and then back into the plane. During this useless excersize, Chicky lost his water bottle which he paid $4 for. He was heartbroken.
  • Chicky breaking pieces of the seat upon sitting down. I shook my head and hoped that the flight attendant didn't see.

We lost a day on board the plane which made the flight seem even longer. We left Vancouver at 12 noon Saturday. Arrived in Korea at 5pm Sunday and got into Singapore at 12 midnight. From there we took a taxi to the Garden hotel. The hotel left a lot to be desired. We discovered that the toilet and shower required special instructions on how to operate them (due to the fact that they were broken!). We were too tired to complain so we lived with it. Chicky and I were more concerned with the condition of the rug and possibilities of bed bugs. We inspected the mattress. Then wore sandals in the room the whole time. Time to have a few hours of sleep before our continental breakfast!

No comments: