Friday, March 23, 2007

arriving in KL

Greetings from Kuala Lumpur! Sorry I haven't been able to post lately. We're staying with Chicky's family in KL. There's a dial up connection but that means that the phone will be out of commission if I'm surfing the net.

I know all of you have been looking forward to the pictures - haven't been able to load them as they are too large (remember...my camera shoots in 10MB). We've taken over 1000 pics so far and still counting. There's going to be a lot of sorting to do when we get home. We miss everyone though!

As of the last post - we left Singapore bound for KL via train. The idea was novel at first but I don't recommend it unless you've never travelled by train before. The train was delayed by an hour. The duration was 7 hours. The country side view blurred together after awhile. The bathrooms aren't as scary anymore - getting use to the squat toilets. The train was old and part of it was coming apart (such as the sections that linked the individual cars to each other). Chicky was thrown around while attempting to move between cars. We read our books and took pictures to pass time. Chicky totally scared me at one point as we had stopped off at another station to pick up/drop off passengers. There was a sign that was funny and I wanted him to take a picture it from the platform. So off he went...then the train started moving and he wasn't back yet. I stood up and frantically looked around and didn't see him. I thought I was going to head to KL on my own and he would be left in the middle of nowhere with just a camera.

The interesting thing about train travel is that you go through Malaysia immigration at the train station - get your "welcome to KL" stamp. After a hour or so on the train - you get off and go through Singapore immigration and get your "departure" stamp. So backwards...

KL is just as hot as Singapore. The drivers are pretty scary too. Unlike Singapore - we're traveling with Chicky's family everywhere via car. Met a lot of Chicky's relatives. Good thing is some of them speak english. But most of the time everyone speaks chinese and I just sit around and wait for someone to tell me what's going on.

We're staying with Fong's family. The 5 of us share the apartment. Chicky and I have been sharing a single bed - it's interesting as we're both big people. Everyday the relatives come over early to the apartment and eat breakfast, talk, do chores, etc. Chicky discovered that one of his cousin is into movies (he's got so many binders with burned movies) - so he's latched onto the TV now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha! I had warned you about taking a train in a third world country but you said you wanted to experience it. Took the train from Singapore to Thailand went I went for the educational S.E. Asia tour when I was in Centennial and we travelled by train from Singapore to Thailand ahd hated it. Would NEVER recommend riding the train in a third world country. It's disgusting! And would never do it again. I would always fly (but w/SIA Airlines). And yes, drivers in M'sia and in England are fairly scary as well. Didn't like the toilets on the train (and in M'sia) huh? I couldn've told you that already. Hehe. The last time Peter and I were there for our honeymoon, I refused to stay at Fong's or w/other relatives (even w/my Aunty Betty althouh she lived in an exclusive gated community), I'd rather stay at a luxury hotel. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental and the hour to two hours travel to and fro the hotel to Fong's place was well worth it. Would always stay at a luxury hotel wherever I travel instead of staying w/ relatives. Whenever I travel, I love the fact that I'm able to come and go as I feel like it and do whatever I feel like at anytime of the day.