Today I hosted the second annual Go Karting race at TBC Indoor Racing. The event turned out to be great. Lots of enthusiam from the crowd. We had 45 participants this year. Less than last year (which was 90 people) but I prefer managing a group this size as it's not so crazy. Because of house stuff last week I ended up slapping together the last minute details on Friday night - which included trying to find a new pizza parlour which would deliver to me at 10:45am. No such luck so I had to go with Panago again.Everyone had a good time bashing carts and cheering on team mates. The facility has new carts so we were happy with that news. The new carts are much faster and I'm told by the drivers that they were a more comfortable ride too. I only had one injury this year (one of my coworkers managed to crash into a kid and have her cart wheel pin his knee) and zero broken carts. Whoohoo! :-) Last year was 3 injuries and 4 broken carts. Injuries only suck when it's some kid and I have to deal with the worried parent. :-) I didn't race but hung out with the manager and staff at the site. They are pretty young Asians (probably a few years younger than myself). We joked about suped up cars and how to "file" a claim when you have a rice-rocket. :-) Plus they don't seem to mind it when I treat the facility as if it's my own place. Lol - I was surprised that Arthur (the operations manager) gave me the master key this year when I just told him that he should. :-) Asking requires too much work. But it's a logical argument - I usually want to lock the party room (so that people can leave their valuables in there) and I want to be able to access it at anytime during the event. So - instead of hunting him down every 5-10 mins - it's just more convenient for the both of us if I held onto the key.
I think I'll run this event in the summer time as well because it's always fun and the comments from the people that attend is basically that they would come again. I did get a few suggestions for new events such as snowboard racing (hmmm...don't know if I can make that happen) and paintballing (doable). I'll have to see what the Club Executives think about that though.
After the event I drove home and took a nap. I was pooped out from getting up early and not sleeping much the night before. Chicky was in Whistler all weekend for Nick's stag party. He called me Saturday night to tell me that it was raining ice up there and that they had played paintball in the freezing rain. I'm happy he had fun and I'm sure Nick had a memorable weekend.
1 comment:
THanks Kim - Team Sideswipe had a good time, although my neck and back are really sore today from that full-speed rear ender...! :)
Post a Comment