On Saturday I went to the annual Social Club Christmas party. I dragged Chicky with me. He has been sick the last couple of days due to romping around in the mountains in the snow playing paintball games for Nick's bachelor party. He left Whistler and spent the next couple of days recovering from the "fun".
The party was great and it was nice to just come to eat. The event was being handled by 3 other executives and they did a wonderful job. I went around and took pictures of the event. Everyone was dressed up and feeling festive. It was nice joking around with the members and saying "hi" to people that I know or vice versa. Though I wasn't actively involved in the preparation of the party - I still got tons of compliments from everyone about the selection of the location, food, etc. The Pan Pacific hotel is beautiful and the Christmas decorations are so festive. It makes me love Christmas time even more.
Dinner was great - buffet style with delicious food. I took pictures of the guests while waiting for our table to be called to eat. Drinks were not on the house but because I have "special" rights - I get unlimited pop/juice. That's fine with me as I'm not really a drinker anyhow. I did have a lady come up to me while I was taking pictures and give me a story about being a designated driver. :-) We usually give drink tickets to designated drivers - but that's done when you first enter the party. I felt bad for her as she had to walk across the room to talk to me and it takes time coming up with a story. So I said don't worry, apologized for the greeters for not asking her if she was a designated driver (not sure why I should apologize as it's not my fault she didn't speak up when coming though the doors), gave her some tickets and told her that if people at her table were also designated drivers and didn't get their drink tickets - they could come see me. :-) Setting myself up for sob stories - yes...I know. But what the heck - pop is like $4 at the hotel! I'm sure some of the greeter ladies forgot to ask the guests as they came in.
After filling our tummy with dinner - Chicky and I were in line for dessert and it looked like by the time we would reach the table - the cakes would all be gone. This couple behind us (jokingly) said to me "the dessert table is almost empty - someone from the Executive should do something". He was looking directly at me. Then the others did too. I grinned and said "that's right! someone should do something about that" and winked. I gave up my spot in the mega line to hunt down some staff. Not sure what I was going to complain about as I knew they were trying to fill the food tables as fast as they could. I ran into the hostess and asked her to bring serving spoons to the dessert table (as I also noticed that there weren't any) and to see if we could remove the empty cake plates (hinting that we needed more desserts). She was very nice and did it. I went back in line and people were gracious enough to let me butt back in with Chicky. Chicky is really good about me abandoning him at these Social Club events to fend for himself. He's not so fond about attending them but I had assured him that at least this year I'd get to eat with him instead of being infront of the group and running the show. The rest of the night went by quickly. Did some dancing with coworkers and then played the Alphabet Movie game with our table. It was fun and made us think. :-) Chicky and I took off at around 11pm as I was tired of entertaining and he was bored. We spent the rest of the night watching License to Wed with Nick and Lisa. Lisa is suffering from a cold as well and slept through most of the movie.
No comments:
Post a Comment