Thursday, November 22, 2007

new year - new job

Today I had an interview for a support analyst position with our project office. I had decided to apply for a 6 month assignment with this group as I have been really stressed with work the last month or so and have resented being there. This all translates to Kimmi taking a break from Help Desk before she goes postal on them all! :-)

The interview was a standard panel interview. I knew 2 of the interviewers through the Social Club. Ah - the few benefits of being so actively involved in the Social Club, it provides me with networking opportunities. They asked the usual behavioural questions and stuff. I was a bit nervous when they started asking me about project work, etc. I haven't worked on a project before and realistically don't have leadership experience outside of the Club. One of the ladies wanted to make the interview "equal" (I think she just wanted me to sweat in my seat) in terms of asking me the same questions as they do with their coops. :-) Seeing as I have no formal training in business or management - it was challenging. I think I did well though as I was able to answer an important question correctly. "What is the difference between an issue and a risk." I wasn't sure if was a trick question at first so I stalled for a bit. One guy on the panel felt pity for me and told me that the other people didn't get the question correct so it would be "normal" if I answered it incorrectly. Lol - yup...he had low expectations of me. :-) That's alright though. I thought about the definitions as it applied to my work and what I learned in school and told the questioner. She looked at me and I wasn't sure if it was an approval or disapproval look so I looked to one of the other panelist and that lady grinned. I sighed in relief - passed! The interview as a whole went well and I felt comfortable to speak normally after they finished the "technical" stuff (thank goodness I taken those database and MS Project courses). At the end of the proces everyone looked at each other. There was some pausing and I waited for instructions - either to get my ass out of there or wait for some more questions/answers. One of the ladies looked at the rest of them and said "are we ready to make a decision". I was like "OMG!" - I felt felt like a contestant on American Idol. :-) Waiting for Simon Cowel to strike me down. Luckily the stars were aligned today because I got the job! Hhahaa...I was really excited as they didn't realize how much of a break I was looking for. I thanked everyone and went happily off to another meeting. So starting in January - I'll not be on the phones anymore and mentoring under 2 project managers to learn the in and outs of project management.

No comments: