Monday, July 21, 2008

falling for nature

Early Sunday morning Ian, Mike and I headed towards Squamish for a refreshing hike. We wanted to be up and down the mountain by noon. Giving us 3-4 hours of wandering time. We didn't make it out to The Chief but stopped by Shannon Falls. The boys brought all their camera equipment and just wanted to wander around and take pictures of nature. :-) I was ok with not going up the Chief as I packed too much into my backpack and it was SUPER heavy. The hip/waist straps weren't helping. Chicky said I looked like I was going camping instead of a 4 hour hike. Mental note to self - bring the fanny pack next time. I think I've climbed down plenty of slippery slopes in the pursuit of a "better angle" this weekend. On Sunday, I stepped on a rock that looked stable to find out that it wasn't. As I screeched and clutched the camera - the boys looked up and didn't do anything. They were climbing tentatively down the river bank as well and didn't want to risk their gear to save me. Duh! Luckily my foot went through the rocks so I didn't fall down the embankment. I did have cuts and scrapes though. Should have worn pants but it was too freaking hot. That's the problem with hikes - when you're in the dense trees, it's freezing cold. When you're in the fields - it's freaking hot. So I kept putting on and taking off my layers. It was nice walking through the fields and looking for eagles. The boys had super long lenses so they were taking pictures of mountain tops. I focused on the closer stuff.

Here are some pics from Shannon Falls.

No comments: