Tuesday, September 11, 2007

back to school back to work

It's back to school this week. *sigh* Didn't feel like it was that long ago that I wrote my finals. Blah. :-) Monday I kicked off my first night course. What are we taking this semester? Macroeconomics. Yup - I'm thinking the same thing too!

Mondays are especially rough days for me as I tend to go to bed late (carry over from the weekend) and after about 4-5 hours of "sleep", I have to get up for work. It's getting darker and darker in the mornings (I leave for work at 5:30am) so the drive in is tiresome. Thank goodness for my 2 cups of coffee which keeps me alert enough not to run over pedestrians. :-) At a call center - mondays are "high call volume" days as people tend to be come stupid over the weekend and are useless when they get to work..which translates to calling us for help. I have a bad habit of not leaving work right after my shift is done as I carry over tasks. When I'm done with my "real" work then I evaluate the time and begin working on Social Club tasks. So yesterday I figured I had a few hours to kill before having to head to out on the road to class. I stayed behind and worked on some action items for the Social Club meeting today. We have monthly meetings and because I'm efficiency-driven, I tend to delegate all kinds of tasks out to the other Board members to prepare for the meeting. I'm a task master. By 5:30pm I've lost most of my energy and need to refill on caffeine. By the time I reach class it's 7pm. By this time my body is full of caffeine to keep me motivated and whatever food I grabbed enroute to class. The quickest choices are usually not the healthiest choices. In class I find myself yawning - it's only 8pm and there's still another 2 hours of lecture. This course the instructor is the "lecture" only type. Which means that I'll have to pre-read the material beforehand so that I'm not scrambling to write down every word that comes out of his mouth. Those poor young students - some of them were trying to understand his shorthand on the whiteboards. :-) The topics we discuss are interesting and it's amusing to see how my view of global enonomical issues has changed now that I'm older. Some of my classmates still hold very "value based" reasoning (concepts of "fair trade") whereas I'm more to agree with mean/drastic changes such as cutting back on EI benefits to lower the national unemployment rate. The good thing is that there is no homework or group work for this course. YAH!!! Trade off? 3 midterms and one final worth 50% of the final grade. Boo! It's fun being in class. Though my energy level is not always high - I enjoy the discussions and views of others. :-) Looking forward to the next class!

No comments: