As I am sitting in bed reading the latest issue of 24 - something hops onto the page! Naturally I screeched, dropped the paper and leaped out of bed. Upon hesitant investigation - the culprit turned out to be a green grasshopper. So gross! EWWW!!! It was a reputable size - nothing like the locuses of Saskatoon but a contender none the less. Either awed by grossness or the sheer need to document my life pictorially - I whipped out the camera and took a picture of it. :-) I then quelled my inner child from wanting to squash the bug and tried some macro shots. I don't have a macro lens so I tried the technique of inversing the lens and moving backwards/forwards to focus. This causes the lens to bump against the grasshopper's antennae which makes it scurry out of the frame - which then results in momentary panic attacks and a yelps as I quickly back away and look for it. Fear of it jumping towards or onto me keeps me from getting too close. Bugs make such bad camera subjects as they want to run away - what I would do for a big sewing pin! Muahaaa...I have such morbid thoughts. It took every ounce of dicipline to refrain from picking up a tissue and ending it's adventures on my bed! When the novelty wore off - I set the grasshopper free through my window. I then closed the window and pondered what other creatures are living in/under my bed that I haven't "discovered" yet. Too scary to even imagine right now - ignorance is bliss! That's what you get for having windows without screens...
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
bed buddies
As I am sitting in bed reading the latest issue of 24 - something hops onto the page! Naturally I screeched, dropped the paper and leaped out of bed. Upon hesitant investigation - the culprit turned out to be a green grasshopper. So gross! EWWW!!! It was a reputable size - nothing like the locuses of Saskatoon but a contender none the less. Either awed by grossness or the sheer need to document my life pictorially - I whipped out the camera and took a picture of it. :-) I then quelled my inner child from wanting to squash the bug and tried some macro shots. I don't have a macro lens so I tried the technique of inversing the lens and moving backwards/forwards to focus. This causes the lens to bump against the grasshopper's antennae which makes it scurry out of the frame - which then results in momentary panic attacks and a yelps as I quickly back away and look for it. Fear of it jumping towards or onto me keeps me from getting too close. Bugs make such bad camera subjects as they want to run away - what I would do for a big sewing pin! Muahaaa...I have such morbid thoughts. It took every ounce of dicipline to refrain from picking up a tissue and ending it's adventures on my bed! When the novelty wore off - I set the grasshopper free through my window. I then closed the window and pondered what other creatures are living in/under my bed that I haven't "discovered" yet. Too scary to even imagine right now - ignorance is bliss! That's what you get for having windows without screens...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Tis the season for grasshoppers? I found one on the sofa just yesterday morning. My first response - I jumped off of the sofa too. Haha. I've never seen a grasshopper in a home/condo before, this was my very first time. I had to ask Peter what the heck that green thing was. But it was tiny so I'm guessing it must have been a baby grasshopper. But as I took a second look at it, I thought it was quite cute and not as scary as other creepy crawlies.
Post a Comment