Monday, March 17, 2008

mascot mayhem

"Here comes Peter Cottontail...hopping down the bunny trail..."

Yesterday was the Social Club's annual Easter Egg Hunt. I took the girls (Angelina and Teresa) with me on the Hunt this year. It was a good turn out - 180 people showed up. I was very impressed with Jo's organizational skills, she always thinks about the little details like coloring contests for the really little kids. :-) Takes a type-A to appreciate another Type-A's detailed work! Jo is one of the other super-assertive event organizers in our Club. She's sometimes hard to handle (too aggressive for the introverts in the group) but always reliable/dependable to take on large or unpopular events.

So on Friday I picked up my bunny costume from the costume shop. I've been fighting a cold for a week or more now and thought that I would have to enlist the help of Chicky for Sunday as I could barely breathe. So he willingly got into the costume Friday night to see if it fit. :-) It was too snug for him. Plus he was a SCARY bunny. Nope - definately not cute! I tried to convince him to wear the costume to surprise his parents - he refused as he didn't want them to have a heart attack.

If you've ever been a mascot then you can relate to the following. The bunny head was big and I couldn't see out of it. Knowing this well in advance - I enlisted a bunny-bodyguard. Her job was to keep the kids from stampeding me and keep me from killing myself as I "lead" the Hunt. The good thing about being a mascot is that you don't have to talk. Just wave in no particular direction, bob your head when told and try to look in the direction that your handler is telling you to. Some kids were freaked out by having a giant bunny staring down at them. Poor kids. I was having a really hard time with the head piece as it was too big and the apparatus underneath literally clamped my eyes shut. So I was bonking kids in the head as I have no spatial perception and tried my best not to molest them as I "felt around" for them. Half way through the gig I figured it's easier to just hold out my arms and hug whatever came between them. I think the worst part was that when I made my grand appearance - guess who happened to push their way to the front of the mob? The girls! And they were trying to pull on my costume to find out who was underneath. :-) I was unsuccessfully trying to kick them out of the way - hahhaha...what a bad auntie eh?

After 2 grueling (really hot) hours of picture taking, holding screaming kids, walking blindly around with baskets full of candy and trying not to knock over little kids or be beaten by the older ones (man...some big kids are just cruel to mascots!) - I was released from my bunny duties. It was a fun experience but I'm glad that I've put in my time and don't have to be the bunny next year! Hmmm...I might just pick up a larger bunny outfit for Chicky next year....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Poor girl! Kel should've definitely gotten into the costume to show my parents and taken pictures in the costume. I would have love to see the pictures.
The Easter Egg Hunt sounded like fun and we should've attended but listened to your advice not to attend cuz it would've been cold and rainy. *Sigh* I shouldn't have listened to your advice. Hehe. :-D
Sign us up for next year's Easter Egg Hunt.