Tuesday, March 04, 2008

workflow processes

Work has been quite busy in the last couple of weeks with projects coming up. There are days when I feel like 12 hours in the office is not enough. This feeling probably stems from the fact that I waste too much time in meetings. Aside from "real" work I've been trying to keep up with the Social Club event planning. I'm looking forward to being the Easter Bunny and the Dodgeball tournament. Lots of planning involved but as always - once the event happens - it's all worth while seeing the smiles on everyones faces. :-)

On the wedding front. Chicky and I haven't talked much about the wedding since the engagement last month. In the last couple of weeks we've been busy with family parties, etc. On the Sunday we went into Richmond so that he could go to work. Unfortunately his new office building was locked and we couldn't break in. So we took the opportunity to drive around Richmond and contemplate restaurant locations. We're going to do a Chinese restaurant reception so locating a venue is the top of our list of "to do" list. One thing we did decide upon was having the wedding this year. We made that decision last week after much discussion between a 2008 or 2009 wedding. Financially they would be equivalent. Seasonally - it's a whole other story. So we're aiming at a September/October wedding. I was hesitant about having a fall/winter wedding as the weather is unpredictable and frankly I like taking pictures in the park. A summer wedding would totally be out of the question for 2008. Too little time to plan. :-) I prefer to reduce "known" stressors when possible.

The last 2 days I've been in a Workflow Process Modeling course for work - should have taken this course when I first started my job last month...would totally have helped then! The material is dry so to keep myself from falling asleep, I would sometimes mentally visualize mapping out my wedding on a Visio drawing (with all the decision diamonds, swimlanes, etc). :-) Yes - I know...geeky!! My instructor loves post-it notes...makes me want to go crazy with post-it notes too. So many colors and sizes! Kay - back to my first thought.

Being unsuccessful at thinking of a restaurant to "pop into" while in Richmond. I convince Chicky that we should do something more productive - so we head down to Chinatown to look at invitations. :-) I'm not making my own. The one thing I learned from past experience with event planning is the "keep it simple & buy when possible" moto. If I have a September wedding - that leaves me 6 months to get all activities aligned. This is possible if I don't introduce any manual processes into the plan. :-) Ah...still in workflow process modeling mode...where's the critical path?! Anyhow we look went to 2 stores. One was run by a super old chinese couple - we weren't too impressed with their stuff. The other store had more potential. After 1/2 hour of sitting there we put together a design, selected various paper, layout, caligraphy, artwork and color scheme of the invitation we wanted created. After that we got the quote for the order of invitations - a bit more then what I budgeted for but still within scope. Because Chicky and I have a tendency to be "spontaneous" purchasers and often suffer from "buyers remorse" - we left our information and the design specs with the company and told them that we will confirm the order later. They only need a month to produce the product so we still have plenty of time to change our minds if need be. Plus we need a venue and date first! I'd prefer not to change our minds about the invitations as it's such a good feeling thinking that one thing has been "completed" for the wedding. :-)

No comments: