You know that saying "no news is good news"? Well that's what I thought about the bone density test I had done in Dec. 2006. During my annual physical last week I mentioned the test in passing and said to the doctor "no news is good news right?" He pulled my records, read something then said "not in this case". So I was confused and irritated at having to book a separate appointment to discuss the test results with him. I felt that this should have happened last year if there was something on the test that they needed to tell me. Stupid clinic - don't they call patients back after exams?!Anyhow I went in for my appointment today to find out what's wrong with me. I sat there as he told me that I have osteopenia. All I could think of was "what?! I'm not old!" I didn't really react to this news and while he went on with more doom-and-gloom news, all I wanted to know was if there was a treatment plan and if it was curable. Treatment plan - yes...curable - no. I find that as I get older and fall more apart - it takes more to get a reaction out of me. The doctor's main concern was why I developed this condition as I'm too young to be at risk for osteoporosis. Man - if I get it now...I'm screwed when I get older. My thoughts were focused on his dooms-day speech about the onset of osteoporosis. We went through a questionnaire on the factors that attribute to osteoporosis - I didn't think they applied to me. I consider myself reasonably healthy. It's not like I'm a couch potato (often) and eat "bad" food (other than my McDonalds cravings). Only goes to show that going to the hospital (in my experience) just digs up stuff you didn't necessarily want to know about yourself...such as that mysterious bone growth on my left tibia...lol....
So this weekend is going to be kim-the-guinea-pig weekend. I have a series of blood tests to participate in. Oh joy! My doctor is leaning towards a thyroid problem - hyperparathyroidism to be precise. Even more fun eh? I tried to make light of the topic when he advised that I'd be susceptible to bone breakage/fractures - I told him that he should have told me that last week as I spent Friday night dangling precariously from wall climbing ropes really HIGH up! :-) Duh...that would have sucked even more if I fell and broke something. To keep on the positive side - I've got my fingers crossed for only having osteopenia. If I had to be diagnosed with something more - then let it be something that doesn't require surgery or tons of meds. I'm non-compliant when it comes to taking pills. :-)
5 comments:
I'm really sorry to hear the bad news but hope everything will go well with the tests that your doctor has recommended.
We should get together! I know what this feels like. My doctor also didn't call me when my results came back in September and so I thought that no news was good news, that is until I finally called them and the receptionist said that I better come in right away. Oh, I feel your pain. At least you've caught this early and can begin treatment.
keep in mind that those studies that determine "normal" bone density are often based on caucasian women. Asian women typically have a lower bone density, just based on diet and genetics. Thus, osteopenia isn't really the "death sentence" you might think it is. I'd recommend more dairy in your diet, perhaps a calcium supplement. If your hyperthyroidism is addressed, calcium in your blood should balance back to your bones (in theory), which should also help. Of course, not being a doctor, this is all information learned during my prenatal classes :)
hahaa...the funny part is that I had started calcium supplements like 10 years ago when going on the depo shot as bone density was a risk factor (and also the reason for the bone density exam to begin with). So - if I hadn't been diligently taking calcium supplements (ontop of my usual arsenal of vitamins) I'd be in rougher shape! :-) I'm a bit lactose intolerant so drinking gallons of milk is out of the question.
Ahhhh yes... the depo shot... so the rumors ARE true! :)
Post a Comment